I don't think SARS is as terrible as the media reports. Instead, I am afraid Taiwan has been corrupted more and more by the media who have been spreading incorrect data and reports of SARS. What's more, most local people worry so much about SARS that they gets to be too anxious to pay attention to the truth. The truth is, SARS is contagious only when people are not equipped with knowledge. Masks do help, but most important of all, people should stop panicking and do exactly what they should do -- for patients, they ought to honestly report their history of illness, traveling and consultation to various clinics; for journalists and news reporters, they have to stop over-reporting, exaggerating, and worsening the situation; after all, their job is to report the truth, fairly and equally. There are some immune professionalists and doctors suggest: in the time like this, it is very important for people to keep the faith in themselves and in the hands of medical care. Not only our immune system but our spiritual immune system should be tended to.
If I am to feel sick, I would be sick of everyone getting worried about getting SARS one way or another, and I sorrow for democracy and freedom, which have been ravaged and abused. It's just that, things and people's heads have to cool down. And in my humbel point of view, it is the political struggles and media competition out of control.
Let's hope that we stay calm, be critical and keep our heads "cool" when we are surrounded with rumors and untruthful reports.
What I do now is, I wear mask all the way during my commuting hours (when I am closely surrounded by strangers); I try not to throw myself into any crowds; I wash my hands thoroughly, and I shall always look on the bright side of life and keep my faith.
What we need to do is show our love and faith to our family (and those families that are segregated) and ask our friends (regardless of their origins and nationalities) to do the same.
It is not SARS that spread the threats; it's rumor, distrust, dishonest and lack of faith.