I have been teaching for some time. For the previous semesters, most of the students are heritage students and most of them are fairly articulative. A lot of the discussions in class were very productive and kids all have fun debating and doing presentation. The school year ended pretty well and I got excellent TA recognition.
This semester, however, I found my life twisted and overwhelmed. It is not simply that fact that I am taking almost 20-credit hours of my own study, courseworkwisely speaking, but the teaching appointment becomes challenging. Most of the students are native speakers and only a few of them are heritage students. In terms of language proficiency, these kids are mostly challenged with the textbook we are using and topics related to contemporary matters regarding politics, social welfare, cultural debate and so on. I can see their efforts in writing their homework, but quite a few of them are pretty much challenged in verbal communicative production. In other words, my objectives of improving their communicative competence definitely need to be more specific and precise.
With four cohort courses I am taking, a foreign language class and a class to teach, I have no doubt that this will be another burn-out year...
wish me luck.