21 December 2008

Adieu, Nana...


With tears, I bid Nana goodbye and bon voyage.

I distinctly remembered the first day we met in that crowded room. The stifling atmosphere permeated in the small space with innocent faces and wondering eyes. Some were looking for something or someone. Some were totally lost in translation and the foreign language anxiety engulfing their minds. There were still some retaining the composure, trying to be patient to be called and to go through the long line, the long wait. There she sat, with the friendly smile and her beautiful doe eyes. We started chatting with each other. And there began our story.

Sometimes you have to learn to let go. Let go of people you adore, let go of secrets you hold on to, let go of things out of your control. Nana listened to me, she was there for me with her composure of calmness and beautiful smile. I turned away as I realized that my eyes were saturated with tears, but that was the real me. And she knew.

There's no ever-lasting party. We have friends that stay with us forever, but at times we still need to let go and bid them farewell, long or short. If I could only name one thing that I miss Nana the most, that would be her beautiful personality as well as her smile. For that precious smile, I have framed it in my pictures with my camera; for that charming personality, I shall always remember it with all my heart and store it in the limited space of my cortex.