26 December 2007

Once/at Once



How often do you find the right person?
Once.
--motion picture ONCE

***

What if the one that you've loved all your life turns to be someone you do not know any longer?
What if the one that you thought was the one is eventually proved not the one?
What if the one that you've met is the wrong one, yet you didn't see it coming, until it's too late?
-How late is too late, then?

What happens to the girl who believes in love-at-first-sight?
What happens to the boy who believes in love-conquers-all?
What happens to those who still believe in fairy tales?
What happens to those who still believe in ever-lasting faith?

How often do you see the one in the eyes and see through her/his soul?
How often do you back off when you realize s/he might not be the one that all those who claim to have loved you would approve of; and you fight for him/her and you sacrifice a great deal for the love you believe it's worth it, and you stick to the love without discerning the discrepancy, the risk, the challenge and the possible change?

You went all out for the love then and you turn to feel all out of love now.

Once. That love happened once. Then the rest is called responsibility, obligation and family, they said.

But I was so capricious that I sneered at what I was warned.

At once, the glory of that love is dimmer when it's challenged; it fades in the face of stupid pride, needless obstinacy, helpless narcissism and selfishness and endless material and spiritual constraints in real life.

I don't regret to fall for you once, but I'd remorse if I can't see what's your true colour all at once. I didn't back out when our love was questioned, but that doesn't mean I won't cross the thin line between love and hate and dare you to take the heat and make your choice.

So how long do you think this love would last under scrutiny, under the circumstance of being strangled and under the pressure?

At once?