26 May 2003

Anorexia

One of the "minor" theme of my thesis is about the anorexic response to subjectivity. As I read on and learn more from several critical essays, I found that the more I read, the more I believe that anorexia may be both a gesture and protest of the anorexic women who are not merely deeply "conditioned" by, but severly reacting/responding to or protesting againt patriarchal control.

On the episode of CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) last week, I learned that the anorexic may have grown some "baby-hair" and have actions of self-annihilation when they become devastated. Although the protagonist in that episode is a model who tends to overstress the importance of being thin. Chernin regards these self-abusive and self-destructive gestures as "tyranny of slenderness." That anorexia happens to models, teenaged-girls or mostly on women is not a news anymore, but gestures of these anorexic do reveal their attempt to persuit perfection. And this standard and definition of being beautiful or being perfect in appearance may account for two things that have strongly affected women's life: the influence of cultural teaching or regulation, and the habit of being watched.
As a woman, at times, I found myself being noticed and offered help when I am all dressed up. On the contrary, when I am plain, without make-up or pretty outfits, I am sometimes regarded as a Lesbian or a Tom-boy who does not catch people's eyes at all. In fact, I am aware of my appearance which is not very "out-standing", and I am always reluctant to be asked to behave as a "feminine" woman because my parents believe that I could gain a lot of attention, help and benefit if I behave as a "fragile" and "tender" or "gentle" woman. Reluctant as I am, I have to admit that they are right about this, for what I have experienced and learned.