29 July 2010

Reminisce

E has this solemn face that you can't ever tell his emotion, but when he smiles, you get to feel the whole room lit up.  M is a super plus size young lady that has a big heart and a pleasant and amiable personality.  It's kind of funny that the family, relatives and attending guests from the bride's and the groom's sides respectively immediately appeared to be a strong contrast: the former has the average size eighteen plus whereas the latter tends to be lean and "long."

JR took pictures of me to see how the light went when I was busy speaking with JJ.  My dress apparently also caught the attention of the wedding photographer who stepped forward as soon as I mingled in and asked about JJ's honey moon.  He eagerly showed me his pictures taken at the wedding while I appreciated Jule's Hanbok.

As the couple marching in, led by pairs of bridesmaids and bestmen, the atmosphere was full of joy and Latin jolly, festiva ambience.  JR. kept instigating me to walk up and aim at the scene of wedding march.  I simply coyly frowned and sat still.

"Now I know you are not kidding when you said that you are shy."
Then he kept bugging me with all the comments that made me speechless and clueless.
"Why are you being so polite and formal with me?"
"I never see you as someone that's anti-social."
"You really should have faith in yourself, everyone loves your pix."

"I may not be what you picture me to be, JR.  If you've heard of the expression of 'pain in the neck,' that's exactly me.  Jude can verify that."

He shook his head, as if he denied and disagreed with what I said.

"Did you know that the other day, becuase of my paranoia, three police patrol stopped by my unit?"

Then he appeared to be astonished and implored for more fillin.

I threatened to treat him with "vi" instead of "ti."  He smirked.  "It's just so intriguing that you behave so right in this kind of formal setting, occasion, that makes me feel like you are a different person."

What I didn't tell him was, it might be because I never dressed up so formally and appeared so tall, almost as tall as he is.  Maybe it was simply that he was used to the look of me being casual with capris, jeans and tees.  All night long, he was a gentleman, the door/the purse-holding, taking care of food for me when I was busy catching up with JJ, and gestures of taking care of my gears and me.

Everything seemed to be so right with him and it was like old times, JR was as expansive and adorable.  We talked about our plans, about photography, about languages and people we know.  I've always enjoyed his company.  There's nothing more cheerful than jovial chats with an intellectual without getting the feel of overstatement, gloating matter or exaggeration.  An outsider that I am inclined to be in occasions of rowdy social events, JR dissolved my agitation and uneasiness.  I was whole-heartedly grateful.

JR is a rare find, like Jude and Flight.  We share our views over the world from different perspectives, in different lights.  Yet among all, JR reminds me of M the most, who touched me deeply by his sense of humour and sensitivity over the surroundings.  Over the years, M and I drifted apart even though his messages from time to time still touched my soul and made me homesick.

I stepped out of his old BMW and asked him to wait a sec while I got him something I've been meaning to give him.  We hugged each other goodbye late at night.

"Let me know if there's anything..."

But how could I?

Such considerateness and playfulness at the same time, it was right then, I missed M like crazy.  His bitter-sweet speech at that wedding still got me in mixed feeling with tears and laughters.

I smiled back and waved good night as he slowly slid off the drive way.