Last days of my Europe trip ended abruptly in unexpected incidents and confusion.
Even though the only British Airway agent Tatiana made the best effort to see the most of the tour group make it to the security checkpoint, after a chaotic struggle through the checkpoints, we had no choice but leaving six children to the next flight, since the check-in desk staff insisted on closing the desk.
It was the last day of the journey and the tour guide actually abandoned the rest of the tour and flew to London. Some of the senior members in the tour were so panic that they were roaring, raging and panting all the way through the rush. I was worried about them but at the same time, I was very confused and indignant because I have been living a calm and undisturbed life for long. All this howling, hustling and bustling really wore me out.
Anyhow we all made it to the plane and the flight was waiting for us. Chief exchanged seat with me when he saw two big guys sitting by his seat. Owing to the rush, I blushed. Nick, whose name I learnt afterward, probably thought the blush was due to his mate's naked upper body. He explained to me as the mate tried to slip on his polo shirt. I said it's okay and asked for the way to the middle seat.
"So what happened? It seemed that you guys are in such a rush all the way through."
"Oh, we were coming through the last minute and the check-in desk lady wouldn't let our kids go through. We were forced to leave six kids behind."
"Good god! How could they do that?"
"I know! I don't believe it myself. I am wondering whether there's still any chance to get those kids onboard with us..."
"You want to go and ask the crew?" He then made way for me again by standing aside from his seat.
After consulting with the crew who were extremely polite and understanding, I reported the updated solution with the chief of the tour and returned to my seat.
"So how did it go? What did they say?" Nick appeared to be really concerned.
"Well, they said there's no way to bring in the kids since the flight is about to take off, but they assured me that those kids would be put on the very next flight since our connection flight for HK will not depart till six this evening."
"Now that's a relief." He said.
Nick asked me whether it's a group tour and I told him that we were actually a Children's choir on tour in France for cross-cultural communication purpose. And I related my role in the tour.
It was my first time in Europe, though unpleasant, I was pretty happy whenever I was left alone with my camera. Nick said he did not travel much but he made it to this trip with a group of his friends to a wedding invitation in Geneva. How was it, the wedding, I asked. He said it was all right, but he couldn't tell anyhow inasmuch he did not have much experience attending weddings.
What's funny is that right before my trip to Europa, there's one updated news reporting the high percentage of British women having affairs or multiple sex partners especially during vacations; and the ratio of cheating and having extra-marital relationships is higher, of women, compared to that of men. With that new information ahead, I couldn't help picture this man before me as a perfect good British gent.
Nick guessed on my profession, inferring that I was the curator of the museum. I chuckled. Yeah I wished; that'd have been nice, I said. I held my urge of asking too many questions in returns, as I always maintained certain distance from strangers, even if they look perfect stranger or excellent encounter to me. Not because I was taciturn but I was not sure of how reticent one can be about his/her personal life. The thing called boundary.
When the attendant approached us with loaded trolley, I asked Nick whether he thought they'd have root beer. He said he was not sure what that was and he suggested gingerale. I asked for a coke instead. When I was done with my coke, Nick handed over his intact can of gingerale, suggesting me to have a try. The surprising gensture made me blushed a bit and I thanked him. He then moved back to our conversation about the territory of Great Britain and explained to me its geographical definition.
As I've told my friends Gracie and George, I have been thinking and planning of visiting Bath and Stratford, hometowns of Austen and Shakespeare, respectively. Nick let on the estimated travel time from one place to another and the means of the trip. I felt already excited, now that geographically speaking, my trip to Britain was conjured up and I had clearly more ideas about where to go and what to do. I pictured the quietness, calmness and fresh air in the English countryside and I smiled.
When the plane started to descend and approach Heathrow, the second drink that I had, the gingerale kicked in. I had a hard time holding onto my seat, nor keeping my seatbelt fastened. Yet owing to the avian regulation, I had to wait till the plane was securely landed. My bladder was this close to bursting that I thought it could damage my kidney in a way. With my eyes closed, my fingers moving rapidly with the sonata playing in my head, I tried not to think of the urge, but still I was so uncomfortable and embarrassed that I feared everyone had noticed my fidgeting.
Sweet Nick stood aside so that I could rush to the lavatory in time. On my return, all the passengers were up for their luggage. I found my luggage on the isle, thanks to Nick, who helped me store the heavy luggage in the overhead compartment when we boarded.
"I remember your luggage so I figure I'll just take it down." He pointed at my piece on the isle.
"It's so very kind of you. Thanks a million. Really appreciate it." And I meant it.
Then when the line was moving, he offered to pull along my luggage so that we did not jam the line by switching places.
I thanked him sincerely and I made a final look at him. Nick's face, as well as Tatiana's, shall always remain in my mind.
Small kindness, big gesture. Nick, the British gent, appeared as a knight and a Guei-jen, in Chinese (meaning "precious person") that pulled me completely out the dungeon (as Tatiana pulled me a handful already XD), the lowest point of the my Europe trip over the past eleven days. In occasions like these overseas travels, when I was away from home and when I'd been fed up with all the airline delays and numerous unpleasant and unfortunate happenings, small favors and attentiveness like what Nick and Tatiana have done really make me thankful for being alive and kicking in this world where I believe there are still good people trying to make it a better place to live.