31 December 2007

Happy 2008


Let there be a new start and a new life.
I'll try to smile over a difficult day even.

---

When being asked about my new year resolution(s), I was kind of stammered and looked blank last night. Perhaps I needed more time to deliberate on the key(s) to the question, or perhaps I was not ready to confide with my audiences. I myself did not really know.

It probably was the intoxication of a couple of alcoholic drinks that made me even more dim-witted. As what is known for most people, ethyl alcohol slows down the thoughts, blurs the reason, plagues the capability of reflection and memory, relaxes the brain and muscle when the alcohol gets into the blood stream; after processing approximately 10 c.c. alcohol per hour in the liver, the excess of the alcohol is released into the blood and circulated in our body; and when consuming a certain amount of alcohol that the liver is not functioning quick enough to deal with the ethanol, the surplus flux of alcohol may not merely reach the brain but very likely relax skeletal muscle or even depress/paralyze part of the central nervous system in some cases for alcohol intoxication.
(wait, now this is overly grave here...)

Okay, let me return to the topic of new year's resolution. In Chinese, we refer to new year's resolution as "new year's wish(es)." For years, I was not aware myself mix-using these two different terms. It was not until last night, when a friend actually reminded me the difference between "wish" and "resolution," that I realized my fault at wrongly treating the terms: one referring to something you hope for but may not get or far from reaching whereas the other indicating something you set your heart to accomplish within certain duration of time, say, in this case, within the year of 2008.

A year (or two?) ago, my resolution was to live each day a happy day. It might sound unspecific and unrealistic, but oddly, the same year, I was calm and apparently happier than the previous year. Since then, I thought it might be better that I set an abstract idea as a resolution and wish for something that's facile to achieve, yet hard to quantify or determine. Great happiness usually comes from content and pretty simple and little pleasure.

So, maybe I should try to resolve to be more specific when it comes to 2008's resolution(s), for a change. Something like, quitting old and bad habit of being tardy and procrastination? Or being more judgmental and critical when it comes to decision and meeting hypocrites that I come across? Or maybe showing my true colours more, being myself, cutting all the crapy decorative talks, less pretensions or put-ups when I don't feel like being (the way I used to be)? Perhaps sticking with the principle of talk-the-talk-and-walk-the-walk and caring less about those who I shouldn't be paying attention to or care (less) about other's opinions or expectations, negative comments and gossips.

Okay, that's pretty much about it. Now I still have approximately five minutes to wash away my old-self (and perhaps old sins XD) before new year.

Happy new year, y'all! Whoever you are, wherever you are, happy 2008.