10 May 2007

Happy Mother's Day




Though I've always regarded holidays as the conspiracy of ideology and capitalism , I still submit to my conscience and the dread of obligation.

Though I do not show my apprecitation and love to my family merely on particular holidays, I do miss them and love them so much in many ways that I feel tongue-tied sometimes when I am with them.

I do not always agree with the perspective that you can't imagine the harship and the sacrifice of being a parent unless you become one. I do not always identify with those parents who attribute every commend to and demand on their children to the benefit for the children; "this is for your own good" does not always work on me.

On Mother's Day, nevertheless, and particularly on this day, I'd review every good intention of my mom and the harshness she has put me through, and make excuses for the unpleasant ones. Then I'd really appreciate her effort of raising me to be one fine woman with benevolent intentions and a good heart.

My mother is a very genuine person, to the ones she knows, her friends and her family. Many people deem her wrong from time to time, just like I do, but she has one tremendously kind heart and soft spot for those in need. She is probably the most righteous person that I know, an intelligent woman and a magnificent woman that had survived many unimaginable destitution. It is possibly those hardship that made her a tough person and her diligent mother, my lovely granny, that made her who she is today. Some consider her a tyrannous and demanding person, and some look up to her as the thoughtful (occasionally insightful) wise woman. For me, she is just my mom, the one that would lick on my wound when I was going down with a deadly injury; the one that would blame herself for not being able to provide me more or sculpt me a better person who's an achiever.

The silhouette of hers reminds me of home and the ambiance at home during every homecoming; the instant noodles in my pantry refresh my memory of her cooking and the midnight snacks she cooked for me; the black tea bags she sent me, along with all other daily necessity, fills my heart with gratitude that really appreciates her support when I needed it the most.

On this day, we don't hold grudge with our moms; on this day, we cleanse our souls with gratitude for them; and it is on this day, we particularly need to tell her how much we love them and appreciate what they have done good for us.

(Humm....and I said I don't buy this ideology huh?)