
(pic coutesy of MJHsieh: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhsieh/435628439/)
Time and tide wait for no wo/man.
Recently I found myself having trouble memorizing the music/score I have been practicing for days. Even though I clearly remember the tune and I have been practicing the same pieces for some time, after a day or two without reviewing the previous song or even the one that I am working on, something just doesn't add up: sometimes the fingering and sometimes a note or two. To lift or fall, in minor or major, that's the question.
Were Chopin alive, he would be wishing himself dead/deaf listening to me playing, though legend had it that he always appeared to be polite, timid and melancholic a gentle person. For me, one shortly delay or hesitation before hitting the next note became irratable and unbearable, let alone consecutive ones.
I am a firm believer in the aphorism of "practice makes perfect," but in this case, I'd rather attribute the problem to aging: I am losing it gradually, the ability of catching up or picking up something in no time. It takes hextuple time and energy to learn something new. Mon dieu!
Then the commercial of Barkley and Wade caught my eye. As the young waitress was thrilled to see Wade, she also courteously greeted Barkley, turning to ask Wade, "Is this your father?" Barkley raised his eyebrows. I chuckled, realizing how I've forgotten the dorky rookie look of Nowitzki and Nash, how they all become legends and how soon they'll become history.
Somewhere in Waltz in B minor, I forgot to lift the note E; it's there I perceived the gap extending, enlarging and engulfing the little stage of thin ice I stood.