Despite the fatigue and jetlags, I am overwhelmed by this fulfilled summer that brightened my life and rejuvenate me inside out with the exursions in Japan, back at Taiwan, in Minnesota and the last but not least San Francisco.
The summer began with a planned shortstop on the way back to Taiwan. During the five days in Tokyo, we visited the spots that we went to and the places we did not have time to tour in the past. Although Julian has been to Tokyo and Kyoto for several times, he scarcely got the chances to explore the cities the way I did. We did not spend much this time; all we have is the great amount and plenty beautiful memory in our heads and in the pictures.
Happy were we to hit home after a week in Tokyo, we did not have good luck while we were there at home--it rained the whole three weeks. Due to the rain, I was forced to skip my return visit to my hospital checkup and clinical appointment; because of the nonstopping pours, I came across landslide which pushed me back to where I was. I was not even staying long with my parents back at Kaohsiung, let alone reunions with my old buddies and circle of friends. Yet, all in all, we were happy to see our families and had gettogethers with some of our old-time friends.
A week after we landed back at Chicago, Julian learned that he was sent on a business trip. Then for two whole weeks, he stayed below levels underground while I was (again) explored the city I have never been to, by bus, by the lightrail train and on foot. Owing to the beautiful weather, I need not carry my flash all around with two lens and walked a long way. Like a babe in the wood, I planned out the routes and travelled by public transportation. At times, I underestimated the distance from spot to spot and miscalculated my time or strength. But I was fortunate enough to bump into some strangers to help me out. In Minneapolis, a US Marshal offered to help me while I was wondering with my maps and figuring out the shortest way to my destination. Bobb was so kind that he even called out to help through his cell to ask for directions and time. I was so grateful for his effort that saved me from washting time, money and my energy for misrouting. We were frugal about dining and other expense so that flight and transportation took up the most part of our budget in this trip.
Two weeks after we returned to Chicago from the Twin Cities, we packed again for WWDC2006 in San Francisco. Thanks to WWDC's scholarship, the whole trip was pretty economical and affordable for financially-strained students like us. While Julian was away in the convention centre the whole week, I went on my little adventure in Frisco. I was so greedy that I exhausted myself the first three days walking and taking tons of pictures over whatever I deemed as worthy shots. I practically visited every little pink marks (tourist attractions) on the city MUNI map. To make the most of my one-week-passport, I took MUNI everywhere. I wore myself out and had to stay in the hotel editing the photos and getting some rest. The pleasant climate, beautiful weather and congenial native inhabitants had me there in the gorgeous city. I was, again, helped out by friendly strangers that took picture of me, offered me tips about the city and embracing me with generosity and kindness. Totally overwhelmed, I brought the full-loaded sweet memory and every little bits and pieces this great chance of excursion has bestowed, happily with me, to the real world.
And now, I am ready to move on.