The incident of the undergraduate from Providence University murdered in Japan triggered my parents' concern about my traveling alone. I received a phone call right after the news report broadcasted on TV.
"Honey, promise me that you won't ever go traveling alone again in your life!"
"You know I can't promise you that, Mom."
"Well, you heard that story of the undergraduate from Japanese department, didn't you?"
"I did, but that is just a case. Besides, when you get to travel alone, you get full alerm about everyone, every stranger and everything! I've always tried to take the safe way, and you know that, don't you?"
"But you are a gal, if you are a boy, like your brother, we'd never worry about Mike!"
Cat got my tougue, though not to my surprise. I know that the female body, the fragility and the beautiful body that I have become an original sin that I bear since my birth. Because of this body, I have to be confined to some specific rituals, spaces and time. This body is framed just because of its sexuality and feminine traits. I think I fully comprehend their fear of my body being raped, violated, and probably being sold as goods.
"You are not a mother yet, so you'd never know my worries; just wait until you become a mother your own, you'll see what i mean and understand why I concern, all right? But before that, could you promise me that you won't go traveling or go to any expedition?"