28 December 2003

"ODD GIRL OUT"

The book by Rachel Simmons has a subtitle that explains what have been bothering me since my childhood: "The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls."
For years, I have been figuring why were my high school years so blue and full of nonsense. Each day I got out of my bed and dragged myself to school. For six years, I didn't know what went wrong and what made me so unhappy. Between my friends and I, there seemed to be something wrong but no one dared to spit out the problems.
I've always considered myself a victim of the hidden aggression with wich my so-called friends had practiced their pranks or slanders on me. Somehow, halfway through this book, I recalled myself being a bully to one of my former classmates in grade school. I was a victimizer as well...
Even till now, there were times that I felt latent aggressive move from a few friends who were referred to as immature gals when I expressed some of my doubts and concerns to others. Or perhaps it is me that is immature so as to take everything too seriously to allow myself to be happy?